27 March 2007

weekly update

This week we both read through the tutorials of PureData as indicated last week. Also the book of Puckette M. is not virgin anymore.
For the next week we'll implement some concrete effects. Concrete means that they really work with a given input, from input to output. If there's time we might also try an extraction algorithm already. But we have to keep it simple so as to achieve something concretely this week.
Things we talked about during our meeting:
  • I tried already measuring the latency by just connecting the input of my external soundcard (EDIROL FA101) with the output through PureData. With a sample rate of 44,1kHz and quantizing at 24bit I reach a minimal latency of 37msec, these is too audible and 1msec less results in a big mess. This is not the case when using other profeesional audio software on my computer (adobe audition 2.0, Live 6.0.1) I didn't really search further, I ony tried it out once and it works at least. I know there exists a latency test patch for Pd on the internet. I'll search it the next time I do real input tests.
  • Anyway, Sam says that an audible latency is OK as long as we have a realtime working effect. The latency of the program would be rather normal because of the complexity of the code.

No comments: