03 March 2007

some more reading on adaptive effects


Today is a reading day, because I found a lot of interesting articles about our subject.
  1. First I read the article on 'an interdisciplinary appproach to audio effect classification'. The best things to remember: they explained some vocabulary (effect, sound/audio effect, sound tranformation) that make it somewhat easier to classify them in a first way. Then they state that the most general way to classify audio effects is by their perception, what is heard by the listener. They also made layered model of levels on which you can speak about effects: (low-to-high level) digital implementation technique, processing domain, applied processing, control type, perceptual attribute, semantic descriptors. What we can remember here is not how to exactly classify effects, but more a clear view on them.
  2. Then I discovered the thesis of our friend V.Verfaille: Effets audionumeriques adaptatifs: theorie, mise en oeuvre et usage en creation musicale numerique. Over 300 pages about our subject. I won't read that now, because it's too much. But we must try to read as much of it as possible!
Also I wanted to try simulink again. (it's a long time ago). Look at the last weekly meeting post to see why I want to do this. I'll try some effects or so out. Probably enough problems to solve before I succeed in that.
  • signal processing blockset contains wave in and out blocks. You must be in the right working directory for the audio files to be found. When starting simulink the working directory is changed!
  • I also have a problem when trying to link more than one signal. I think I'm just using the wrong blocks. (mux or merge) Idea of sam is to use an adder block and maybe scaling blocks per signal. I'll try this out.

No comments: